These 50+ Splunk Interview Questions and Answers are specially shortlisted by SV Trainings. All these 50+ Interview FAQs are for beginners and experts as well.
It is a software technology that is used for searching, visualizing, and monitoring machine-generated big data. It monitors and different types of log files and stores data in Indexers.
The fundamental components of Splunk are:
- Universal forward: It is a lightweight component which inserts data to Splunk forwarder.
- Heavy forward: It is a heavy component that allows you to filter the required data.
- Search head: This component is used to gain intelligence and perform reporting.
- License manager: The license is based on volume & usage. It allows you to use 50 GB per day. Splunk regular checks the licensing details.
- Load Balancer: In addition to the functionality of default Splunk loader, it also enables you to use your personalized load balancer.
Some disadvantages of using Splunk tool are:
- Splunk can prove expensive for large data volumes.
- Dashboards are functional but not as effective as some other monitoring tools.
- Its learning curve is stiff, and you need Splunk training as it’s a multi-tier architecture. So, you need to spend lots of time to learn this tool.
- Searches are difficult to understand, especially regular expressions and search syntax.
License master in Splunk ensures that the right amount of data gets indexed. It ensures that the environment remains within the limits of the purchased volume as Splunk license depends on the data volume, which comes to the platform within a 24-hour window.
It is a warning error that occurs when you exceed the data limit. This warning error will persist for 14 days. In a commercial license, you may have 5 warnings within a 1-month rolling window before which your Indexer search results and reports stop triggering.
However, in a free version, license violation warning shows only 3 counts of warning.
Map-reduce algorithm is a technique used by Splunk to increase data searching speed. It is inspired by two functional programming functions 1) reduce () 2) map().
Here map() function is associated with Mapper class and reduce() function is associated with a Reducer class.
Splunk allows you to keeps track of indexed events in a fish buckets directory. It contains CRCs and seeks pointers for the files you are indexing, so Splunk can’t if it has read them already.
Search factor determines the number of data maintained by the indexer cluster. It determines the number of searchable copies available in the bucket.
Replication factor determines the number of copies maintained by the cluster as well as the number of copies that each site maintains.
There are 5 default fields which are barcoded with every event into Splunk. They are: 1) host, 2) source, 3) source type, 4) index, and 5) timestamp.
A summary index is a special index that stores that result calculated by Splunk. It is a fast and cheap way to run a query over a longer period of time.
It is a SQL database plugin which enables to import tables, rows, and columns from a database add the database. Splunk DB connect helps in providing reliable and scalable integration between databases and Splunk Enterprises.
The alert manager adds workflow to Splunk. The purpose of alert manager o provides a common app with dashboards to search for alerts or events.
Index time is a period when the data is consumed and the point when it is written to disk. Search time take place while the search is run as events are composed by the search.
The command which is used to the “filtering results” category is: “where,” “Sort,” “rex,” and “search.”
The SPL commands are classified into five categories:
1) Filtering Results, 2) Sorting Results, 3) Filtering Grouping Results, 4) Adding Fields, and 5) Reporting Results
Following are the commands which are included in the reporting results category:
- time chart
This command searches and replaces specified field values with replacement values.
A null queue is an approach to filter out unwanted incoming events sent by Splunk enterprise.
The source identifies as a source of the event which a particular event originates, while the sourcetype determines how Splunk processes the incoming data stream into events according to its nature.
To start and stop Splunk serives use can use following commands:
|Purpose||They are used to represent numerical data in tabular format.||Timechart is used to represent search result in a graphical view.|
|Fields usage||Stats can use more than one field.||It uses _time as default field in the graph.|
Time zone property provides the output for a specific time zone. Splunk takes the default time zone from browser settings. The browser takes the current time zone from the computer system, which is currently in use. Splunk takes that time zone when users are searching and correlating bulk data coming from other sources.
You can make use of a bash script in order to install forwarder remotely.
Use the forwarder tab available on the DMC (Distributed Management Console) to monitor the status of forwarders and the deployment server to manage them.
Some Splunk alternatives are:
- Sumo logic
Deployer is a Splunk enterprise instant which is used to deploy apps to the cluster head. It can also be used to configure information for app and user.
It is a Splunk command that is used to arrange report data in tabular format.
This Splunk command returns lookup table in the search result.
Stages of bucket lifecycle are as follows:
|Purpose||Collect a large amount of computer-generated data.||Used for big data processing|
|Preference||Can be integrated easily with Hadoop||It is more preferred and can be used with apache projects.|
|Mode||Streaming mode||Streaming as well as batch mode|
Splunk is available in three different versions. These versions are 1) Splunk enterprise, 2) Splunk light, 3) Splunk cloud.
- Splunk enterprise: Splunk Enterprise edition is used by many IT organizations. It helps you to analyze the data from various websites and applications.
- Splunk cloud: Splunk Cloud is a SaaS (Software as a Service) It offers almost similar features as the enterprise version, including APIs, SDKs, and apps.
- Splunk light: Splunk light is a free version which allows, to make a report, search and edit your log data. Splunk light version has limited functionalities and features compared to other versions.
Search Processing Language or SLP is a language which contains functions, commands, and arguments. It is used to get the desired output from the database.
Following are a few domains in which knowledge objects can be used:
- Application Monitoring
- Employee Management
- Physical Security
- Network Security
No, Search terms in Splunk are not case sensitive.
Following are a few layout options for search result:
Splunk supports three types of Boolean operators; they are:
- AND: It is implied between two terms, so you do not need to write it.
- OR: It determines that either one of the two arguments should be true.
- NOT: used to filter out events having a specific word.
It calculates aggregate statistics over a dataset, such as count, sum, and average.
- Dynamic form-based dashboards
- Dashboards as scheduled reports
- Real time dashboards
In order to increase the size of data storage, you can either add more space to index or add more indexers.
Dispatch directory stores status like running or completed.
Source field is a default field that finds the data structure of an event. It determines how Splunk formats the data while indexing.
Following are some search commands available in Splunk:
spath command is used to extract fields from structured data formats like JSON and XML.
You can create knowledge, objects, reports, and dashboards in reporting and search app.
Use dedup command to remove duplicate events having common values.
They are results saved from a search action that shows the visualization and statistic of a particular event.
It is used to work with data without creating any data model.
Instant pivot is available to all users.
LDAP stands for Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
It is a group of Splunk enterprise search heads that serves as a central resource for searching.
Splunk Enterprise Security accelerates data model provides a panel, dashboard, and correlation search results. It uses the indexers for processing and storage. The accelerated data is stored within each index by default.
So these are our shortlisted FAQs, if you want to learn Splunk Course online, then call our team and avail a demo session at FREE of cost.